1. Research: “Slam Poetry Videos on Youtube” *Watch several to see all the different types of “Slams” you can write
2. Choose a topic: What do you care about? What evokes your passion?
3. Put words on paper. Always ask “Could I be more specific?” Short stanzas. Natural rhythm. Use rhyme if you feel like it.
4. Edit. Read your poem out loud. Cut, change, or move. Add a Little Drama.
5. Rehearse. Whisper or shout? Speed up or slow down? Add facial expressions, bodily movements.
6. You are not required to memorize your poem, but you might want to.